Thursday, March 6, 2008

Viewing Web Pages On The AT&T Tilt Cell Phone – Installing Opera Mobile On The AT&T Tilt Cellphone

We are revisiting the topic of viewing web pages on the AT&T Tilt Cell Phone. We are on the Opera website, under downloads, and looking at Opera Mobile.

The option you need choose to get Opera on your AT&T tilt cellphone is not very clear on this page, but this is the version of Opera Mobile For the AT&T Tilt Cell Phone - Version 8.65 - Windows Mobile 5/6 PPC, Professional, Classic. When you click this link, you are taken to the page we’ve seen before where you must choose the “MSI” option and download the file.

Before you click the file, make sure your phone is connected to the computer via Active Synch. Then open the file and run the installer. Here are screenshots of the installation process:







The computer will tell you it has installed and tell you to check your phone to see if you need to do anything else. At this point, I looked at the tilt phone and it said, "The program is from an unknown publisher. You should only install if you trust its publisher. Do you want to continue?" We clicked “yes” and the next question I was asked was did I want to install this program on the device or on the memory card. Since I have enough free space to use the device (this information is displayed on the phone screen as well), and not everyone has a memory card, I chose to install it on the device.

After an animated loading screen, the phone now says, "Opera software Opera.CAB was successfully installed n your device". I clicked OK and the phone went back to the main page. I then went to the "Start menu, and choose programs. I now see Opera Web Browser located in the list. I clicked it, and the phone flashed its loading graphic, and then launched the browser.

I was first informed that this was a 30-day trial, and then it asked if I wanted to set it as the default browser. It then asked if I wanted it to automatically import my bookmarks from Internet Explorer. After this, the Opera browser opened.

The Opera Mobile browser is successfully installed!

The first thing I did was try to access a web page and the phone informed me that it wasn’t online. This was resolved by disconnecting the phone from my computer.

I then went to www.google.com to make sure I was online. I next went to a website that I know has Macromedia Flash on the main page, because that is one of the main reasons we wanted Opera Mobile; we were told it could run flash files. The flash file did not play on the phone when I accessed the website.

I found this page that says Opera Mobile version 9.5 is capable of displaying full Flash media content. Upon going back to the Opera page, version 9.5 isn't an option to download. Reading more on the Opera website it tells us that Opera is currently in version 8.65 , which is the version we installed on our phone. The Opera website says (see this page) that opera mobile version 9.5 was released in February of 2008, and debuted at the Mobile World Congress 2008. If you read further down this page, we see that is says “Opera Mobile 9.5 will be available on all major platforms including Symbian, Windows Mobile and Linux, as both a standalone browser and as a SDK. The public beta release of Opera Mobile 9.5 will be announced separately.”

This is unfortunate! We really wanted to see Flash run on the AT&T tilt cellphone. We have to resolve ourselves to keep checking the Opera site to see when Opear Mobile 9.5 is realeased to the public.